Job Opportunity for Outreach Coordinator At OpenMap Development Tanzania – What To Know About OpenMap Development Tanzania: OpenMap Development Tanzania (OMDTZ) is a registered NGO based totally in Dares Salaam and operating throughout Tanzania as well as East Africa.
About the Position
The Outreach Coordinator will be primarily responsible for finding fellows for Open Skies Fellows as well as partners in Rwanda. This position will work closely with OMDTZ’s Executive Director and Open Skies Fellows Project Director and Innovation and Technical Officer to plan and coordinate all Open Skies Fellows activities within Rwanda. Eventual support to other countries may also include Tanzania and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
As OMDTZ expands the fellowship beyond Tanzania, there is a need to tap into local Rwandan expertise to identify and select the best fellows in Rwanda. Similarly, to identify the right partners, and build strong working relationships, OMDTZ is seeking a Rwandan Outreach Coordinator to lead the community outreach activities. This role will need an outgoing professional who is a team player, with strong social skills and an ability to coordinate diverse activities with minimal supervision.
OMDTZ looking for an individual who has experience working with youth, especially in the field of technology. Our preferred candidate is comfortable working in a very fast-paced, startup-like environment with a highly motivated and unconventional team. You should have three or more years working in an outreach role in a tech startup, NGO, or humanitarian/development agency.
You should thrive in an environment where you direct your day-to-day tasks and build a strategy through consensus with a team of staff and volunteers. Our ideal candidate moves fluently between the styles of our partners which range from formal inter-governmental processes to informal tech speak. Candidates should ideally be Rwandan nationals.
● Serve as an Open Skies representative in Rwanda, understanding and presenting on the goals and objectives of the project in a professional manner
● Identify, select, and support youth to become Open Skies Fellows
● Identify, select, and develop partnerships with key organizations who can advance our mission of developing youth’s technical skills
● Handle the necessary communications with the rest of the Open Skies team, by attending weekly meetings, and presenting on progress
● Maintain a calendar of outreach activities, including community events, workshops, technology demonstrations, and other outreach opportunities
● Nurture relationships with relevant stakeholders to deepen Open Skies network
● Assist in organizing special events, such as Open Skies workshops and kick off events as well as tech trainings
● Seek out opportunities for fellows and Open Skies in general through networking
● Recruit mentors to support the development of the Open Skies Fellows
● Other activities as needed
Qualifications & Experience
● 3+ years’ experience working with youth, especially around digital skills for development/humanitarian relief and improving the lives of others
● Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
● Clear, concise, and compelling writing skills in English
● Ability to present professional to others
● Ability to establish and develop relationships with individuals and organizations
● Ability to use Content Management Systems (GitHub)
● Excellent data management, organized, and attentive to detail
● Background in emerging technology
● Strong network within Rwanda within the innovation ecosystem
● Previous experience leading youth programs
● Some experience in project management
● Prior experience in nonprofit or startup environments
● Fluent in Kinyarwanda, English and French
We seek to recruit persons that reflect the diversity of the communities we work with and further, to support their retention and advancement within the organization. OMDTZ does not discriminate on the basis of ability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, or sexual orientation. Our staff includes people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide range of socio-economic backgrounds, lived experiences, and perspectives on the world. OMDTZ is an equal opportunity employer. We seek to live our values and promote inclusivity in all locations. All of our staff work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of all is valued and respected.